THE AFRICA IN ME
In this case study, I'll share my role as a UX Researcher. I studied how people interacted with The Africa In Me website to make it better. I'll discuss our methods and what we discovered. We used these insights to redesign the website pages.
Our primary focus was to evaluate user interaction and behavior on the website to enhance its usability.
To understand user behavior, we conducted a survey involving five participants. The survey was created using Google Forms. Additionally, I monitored two participants to observe their interactions and user behavior while using the website. Our main objective was to study how users engaged with the website interface and if they had any difficulties with navigating the website.
Main research objectives
Exploration of Website:
Users were directed to navigate through the Africa In Me website and explore its pages to find specific information or complete designated tasks. For instance, one task involved locating a family to sponsor.
Overall User Experience:
We asked the participants about the website's overall feel, alignment with the organization's mission, and relevance of the provided content.
Upon analyzing the user interactions and survey responses, we identified a key issue:
Two out of five users did not realize that some pages contained additional content beyond what was immediately visible.
Limited Understanding of Page Depth:
Some users may not be aware of the website's scrollability, leading to a lack of exploration beyond the initial content visible on the screen.
Incomplete Perception of Page Context:
Some users may fail to grasp the entirety of the context available on the page, causing potential misunderstanding or incomplete information absorption.
Based on our observations and insights gained, I proposed several recommendations to enhance the user experience of the Africa In Me website:
Visual Indicator for Scrolling:
Implement subtle visual indicators (such as arrows or animations) to encourage users to explore further content by scrolling down.
Narrower Banner Design:
Redesign banners on each page to be narrower, allowing users to preview the subsequent content and encourage them to scroll further.
Proposed design change
In response to our research findings and recommendations, the team settled with the seconded proposed recommendation.
The following changes were implemented:
The banner at the top of each page was redesigned to be narrower, offering users a partial view of the subsequent content and encouraging them to scroll further.
Our study shed light on a major usability issue affecting user engagement with the Africa In Me website. By addressing the lack of understanding regarding page depth and context, and introducing narrower banners on each page, we have improved the user experience.